Sheriff’s deputies in Tennessee have issued a shocking warning to the public — be wary of picking up any folded money.
Tennessee law enforcement officials are warning the public that they have discovered folded $1 bills with fentanyl tucked inside at area gas stations.
Two separate incidents were reported at one local gas station in Perry County. When the department had the powder inside the bills tested, both fentanyl and methamphetamine were found.
In a social media post, the sheriff’s department included an image of a small amount of white powder beside a penny to indicate how just a tiny amount of fentanyl can be deadly.
“Fentanyl is a powerful synthetic drug that is similar to morphine and heroin but is 50 to 100 times more potent,” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The CDC also notes that fentanyl can enter the body through skin contact, inhalation, or oral ingestion.
The sheriff’s post went on:
“We have had two separate incidents recently that I feel is a great concern to public safety,” Weems warned in a Facebook post. “On both occasions, a folded dollar bill was found on the floor at a local gas station.”
“When it was found and picked up, the person discovered a white powdery substance inside. The substance was later tested and was positive for methamphetamine and fentanyl. This is very dangerous, folks! Please share and educate your children to not pick up the money,” he continued.
“I personally plan to push for legislation for a bill that would intensify the punishment if someone is caught using money as a carrying pouch for such poison. It enrages me as a father and the sheriff that people can act so carelessly and have no regard for others’ well-being, especially a child. I hope we find the ones responsible,” Weems added.
The Giles County Sheriff’s Department also shared a warning about the issue on social media, writing: “This is [a] very dangerous issue! Please share and educate your children to not pick up any folded money they may find in or around businesses, playgrounds, etc., without using great caution and even alerting a parent or guardian.”